Tcl/Tk clipboard under Windows

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Wed May 26 18:45:37 EDT 1999

Michael S. Schliephake writes:

> (Win-NT 4, W98 - Python 1.5.2, Tk 8.05)
> If you copy some text from a Tkinter-prog to the clipboard and the
> program is finished immediately, one cannot paste the clipboard
> content into another programm. If you paste before finishing the
> Python-program, the clipboard content is how intended and remains
> there.
>
> The problem seems to be in the Tcl/Tk implementation because Tcl/Tk
> standalone behaves in the same way. Has anyone enough knowledge of
> the Tk-implementation to help with a correction?

Did a quick grep of T8.0, but I didn't catch them red-handed.
However, it is generally considered polite to delete stuff you've
put on the clipboard. Reason - you've allocated Windows (not
application) memory for the data. If you don't deallocate it, it may
sit around for ages. Not significant for a few lines of text, but
perhaps the data is a 24 bit color DIB.

- Gordon