Tk communications between frames?

David Miller dmillerNO at MAPSmote.rsn.com
Fri May 7 13:01:35 EDT 1999

Michael P. Reilly <arcege at shore.net> wrote:
> David Miller <dmillerNO at MAPSmote.rsn.com> wrote:
> : The application I'm developing in python/Tkinter needs to have
> : a parent frame start some number of child browser frames.  When the
> : user double clicks on a file listed in a child listbox I want to
> : insert the selection in a different listbox on the parent.

> : Specifically, the parent is a master scheduling window.  The child
> : browsers drill down N directories deep, and there may be and number
> : of child browsers.  This is to let someone program video for playback
> : at a TV station - pick a video from this category (sports tip, child1)
> : a video from another category (athlete profile, child 2), then an ad
> : from child 3.

> : Is this easily doable?  Doable without the security problems of send()?

> Are the child frames seperate processes?  Just toplevel windows within
> the same process?  If so, then there is no need to communicate over a
> socket.  Below assumes that the child frames are not seperate
> processes.

>From looking at the formgui.py demo which comes with Programming
Python it certainly looks like I was making life much too difficult.

Making the browsers into child windows works fine; somehow I
"just figured" that all the windows were forked off as child processes
and would need some form of IPC:)

Thanks,

--- David