Cross platform serial library?

Richard Wall dick.wall at nospam.bigfoot.com
Tue May 18 08:41:28 EDT 1999

Hiya

I am currently getting into the geeky art of home automation, using an
activehome computer interface to control various appliances in the house. Now
that I have got it working well with the built-in software, I want to set about
writing an interface for it in my favourite language (guess which one that is
:-) ).

Anyway, looking through the lib docs, I am unable to find a serial
communications library that will work across platforms. Am I just looking in
the wrong place, or is this something python does not have. I would like it
to be cross platform since I have an old mac kicking around at home not doing
much and would like to deploy on that, but it would probably be fairly painful
to develop on it and would like to develop on a linux box.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. If anyone
has already written an activehome interface library that might save me some
time I would be even more grateful, if not I will write the thing and turn it
over to the rest of y'all. Once I get this working it will be simple enough to
allow access using Zope, (I could turn my heating on from work on a cold day).
:-)

Please - no comments about how sad I am :-)

Cheers

Dick