Newbie running Zope(?)

Cameron Laird claird at Starbase.NeoSoft.COM
Wed May 5 08:35:43 EDT 1999

In article <372B70BD.7FB7DE5E at digicool.com>,
Paul Everitt  <paul at digicool.com> wrote:

>shape wrote:
>> the past few days I've figured out why I got so frustrated using
>> Microsoft products. The whole world seems to think that the stuff MS
>> sells works just fine - while you get the feeling it never works
>> (there's always some incredibly stupid thing you should know and do in
>> order to make it do what it was intended for).
>>
>> It's the main reason I lately started using Linux.
>>
>> Trying to get Zope (1.10something) to talk with Apache (1.3.3) has all
>> the holemarks of the same frustrating Microsoft setup (even the failure
>> message looks the same).
>
>Getting Apache and Zope talking is hard, due to mysteries on both ends.
>In this case I think it's Apache's fault.  But improving the error
>reporting is something we're striving for in Zope 1.11 and beyond:
			.
			.
			.
>The main reason it is so frustrating to get Apache and Zope working
>together is our long-ago decision to mimic FastCGI and have the web
>server be responsible for launching to process.
>
>We are quickly getting rid of that and moving to a more classic daemon
>model.  Many of the really unfathomable things during about Zope will
>become, IMO, a lot clearer.  If you have any experience in
>cross-platform daemon management, please pitch in with suggestions!
>
>--Paul

How to distinguish Zope from Microsoft products:
1.  The president of Microsoft doesn't answer
    Usenet questions.
2.  Microsoft employees don't believe error
    messages matter.
3.  The president of Microsoft doesn't explain
    plans to reverse design decisions.
4.  Digicool happily incorporates ideas from
    customers.
5.  Digicool doesn't have employees whose job
    is to propagate misinformation.
6.  It matters to Digicool that Zope is elegant,
    efficient, ...

References available on request.  Libel suits cheerfully
and vigorously defended.
--

Cameron Laird           http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
claird at NeoSoft.com      +1 281 996 8546 FAX