Parsing

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon May 3 21:42:25 EDT 1999

John Aycock wrote:

> In your particular case, my thought is that the correct form of "urlcontent"
> is more of a semantic issue, and so I'd want to handle it *after* scanning and
> parsing; you would likely be able to print a better diagnostic message
> that way too.  Maybe I've misunderstood the problem you described?

I can see how handling it as a semantic issue would simplify
implementation but I don't follow how it is inherently a "semantic issue."
What could be more syntactic then a set of allowed characters?

Overall, I find your package to be quite intuitive and unbelievably tiny.
My problem is that I got used to the much more complex and large javacc
which let me embed lexical constraints in BNF rules. I want your package's
simplicity so that some less technical co-worker's can maintain the code.
But I miss some of that power.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

The first three Noble Truths of Python:
  All that is not Python is suffering.
  The origin of suffering lies in the use of not-Python.
  The cessation of suffering can be achieved by not using not-Python.
http://www.pauahtun.org/4nobletruthsofpython.html