Idle comments

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat May 29 23:27:26 EDT 1999

[Andrew Cooke, about IDLE]
> - I know you're not trying to reproduce emacs, but C-n not being next
> line is a real bind - if you are going to have some emacs bindings,
> please keep all the common ones!

Most of what you think of as "Emacs bindings" are actually supplied by the
Tk text widget, and IDLE inherits them passively -- as well as their absence
<wink>.

> - The debugger appears to lock for long periods (several seconds) when
> "out" or "over" is pressed.
>
> - After pressing F5, if there is a "compilation error", it would be nice
> to have the cursor moved to the error.

Yup, yup.  Wrt the first, Tcl/Tk is single-threaded, so while Python code is
running the UI freezes solid; run a Python program containing an infinite
loop to see a dramatic example of that (you'll have to kill the process by
hand).  Fixing that appears difficult (seems the Python interpreter itself
would need to tickle Tk periodically).

> - The debugger seems to confuse global and local variables.

Hadn't noticed.  Post a minimal example to increase the odds that someone
will fix it.

> OK, those were the main things.  I can supply details be email if anyone
> wants them.  This isn't a moan, just user-freedback!

Your're allowed to grab the current IDLE out of the CVS repository and fix
it yourself, too <wink -- but people volunteering that effort is how IDLE
advances these days>.  Feedback is valuable regardless, of course!  Warm
bodies are valuable too.

natteringly y'rs  - tim