Help with PIL

John Michelsen john.michelsen at gte.net
Thu May 27 11:38:52 EDT 1999

> I've just installed the PIL library on my win98 machine.  I
>can open a file and see it's size, but when I try to show it
>(im.show()) I get a blank TK window and an error on the command line
>that says : Bad command or File name.
>
>Any idea what's wrong?  I can import Image and ImageTk without any
>errors.

show is just for Unix. Try something like tht following:

from Tkinter import *
import Image, ImageTk
import tkFileDialog

class Open:
 def __init__(self, parent):
  self.canvas = Canvas(parent, bg='white')
  self.canvas.pack(expand=1, fill='both')
  b = Button(parent, command=self.open, text="Open")
  b.pack()

 def open(self):
  filename = tkFileDialog.askopenfilename()
  w, h = self.canvas.winfo_width(), self.canvas.winfo_height()
  if filename != '':
   self.graphic = Image.open(filename)
   self.image = ImageTk.PhotoImage(image=self.graphic)
   self.canvas.create_image(w/2, h/2, image=self.image)

if __name__ == "__main__":
 root = Tk()
 test = Open(root)
 root.mainloop()