Bug or feature?

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sat May 15 03:50:50 EDT 1999

[Jeremy Hylton]
> I just read through Chapter 9 ("Classes") of the tutorial early today,
> and it could use some work.  It has two long rambly sections titled
> "Python Scopes and Name Spaces" and "Random Remarks."  Each has a
> number of important things to say,

Indeed, they're some of the most important paragraphs across *all* the docs!

> but I doubt many people are going to catch them on the first (or second)
> reading.

Heh heh.  As I recall history-- and despite that my memory is entirely
self-serving, you can rely on it <wink> --as Python was zooming toward 1.0,
Guido more & more added vital new stuff to the end of the Tutorial,
increasingly avoiding updates to the more time-consuming to-change Ref Man.
As a result, some vital details about classes may well be documented *only*
toward the end of the tutorial.  OTOH, I'm so used to this organization I
can no longer imagine anything else <0.7 wink>.

on-the-third-hand-in-the-old-days-nobody-expected-python-to-act-
    like-c++-either-ly y'rs  - tim