trying to get started with PIL

Voynow, Sasha sasha at tunes.com
Wed May 19 20:08:57 EDT 1999

I've just installed PIL (Solaris / 386, Python 1.5.2)
No problem there.
However when I try to use it (to thumbnail some jpegs)
I get this:

>>> a = Image.open("foo.jpg")
>>> b = a.copy()
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/PIL/Image.py", line 441, in copy
    self.load()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 134, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/PIL/Image.py", line 227, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError, "decoder %s not available" % decoder_name
IOError: decoder jpeg not available

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I did build in libjpeg.a when I compiled
PIL.
Many thanks for any light that anyone can shed. I'd be more than happy to
provide more detailed information if necessary.

Sasha Voynow

sasha at tunes.com

**** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****