Python IS slow ! [was] Re: Python too slow for real world

geek+ at cmu.edu geek+ at cmu.edu
Fri May 7 12:22:14 EDT 1999

Then <tismer at appliedbiometrics.com> spoke up and said:
> Thanks a lot. Now I have so many ways to go that I cannot
> decide. Vlad uses explicit bins, dedicated storage. While
[chomp]
> Also, Python knows a lot more than malloc: A list(dict)
> is always two things: A header which cannot move, and
> a body which can move and grow and shrink. Could make
> sense to use different strategies for heads and bodies.
> Bad again with strings and tuples which have varying
> size and are not moveable. I would be much happier if
> we would pay the one level of indirection, but we
> had all the varying sizes moveable, since this would
> allow for some compaction as well.

This actually seems to have potential for all kinds of objects where
there is a separation between the header (PyObject*) and "everything
else".  Of course, it *still* makes allocation more difficult.

| JAVA must have been developed in the wilds of West Virginia.      |
| After all, why else would it support only single inheritance??    |
| Finger geek at cmu.edu for my public key.                            |