Python 2.0

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri May 28 17:49:39 EDT 1999

  GM> Michael P. Reilly (arcege at shore.net) wrote: : But I do have to
  GM> ask, what do you find lacking with JPython, Graham?  : It is
  GM> Python written in Java, on the JVM, with full API support (as
  GM> far : as I have determined), and supposed "true garbage
  GM> collection".  JPython : functions/methods are written in Java
  GM> bytecode, not in Python bytecode : (according to the docs).

  GM> I have used JPython (that's where the orginal quote that started
  GM> this message came from). My point is that I think implementation
  GM> via Java is a good idea and I am wondering if that is being
  GM> considered for the future of CPython. ie. abandoning the CPython
  GM> implementation as the main Python and adopting a Java
  GM> implementation instead (reversing the status of CPython and
  GM> JPython).

That sounds like a good way to answer the question, because it allows
for any easy answer :-).  I think it's safe to say that there is
absolutely no consideration given to abandoning CPython in favor of
JPython.  Both versions will exist through Python 2.0.

The investment in C-based code and C programming expertise is large;
and it is unreasonable to expect that all that code and all those
people will be replaced by Java programs and programmers.  Nor is it
likely that all that existing C code will be easily integrated into a
JVM via some Java native code interface.  So there is going to
continue to be a need for CPython.

Jeremy