Books on Python (for OO merit)

Garry Hodgson garry at sage.att.com
Mon May 3 17:05:10 EDT 1999

David M. Cook wrote:

> For a better understanding of OO I recommend Bertrand Meyer's OOSC2 tome and
> the Design Patterns book.

meyer's is a bit heavyweight for learning OO. design patterns
is not about OO design.  you really want to know (at least some)
OO design to get much out of it.

> Most of the other OO books I've seen have been a
> waste of paper.

Sturgeon's Law.

one book i was pleasantly surprised by is:

	Object-Oriented Design in Java (Mitchell Waite Signature Series)
	by Stephen Gilbert, Bill McCarty

it is a good tutorial for someone new to OO.  experienced users will
find it too basic, though the later chapters are good intros to
advanced topics (distributed objects, etc).

i bought a copy to have handy when people ask to borrow a book
to start OO.

--
Garry Hodgson			seven times down
garry at sage.att.com		eight times up