Defining VCL-like framework for Python

David Ascher da at ski.org
Fri May 21 17:14:09 EDT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Just van Rossum wrote:

> Wow, very cool. I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of Spontaneous
> Brain Explosion (SBE) by trying to figure out how using metaclasses can
> help avoid the circular refs problem here...

I didn't say anything about metaclasses!  Perish the thought! It's true
that ExtensionClasses are related to metaclasses, but the basic idea
behind my mentioning acquisition in this thread about circular refs is
that in some cases, the circular refs which are introduced by having
explicit refs between containee and container can be dealt with by,
instead of having child->parent references, having the children acquire
the reference to the parent attributes at attribute lookup time. Jim would
be able to explain things better, but he's much too busy at LinuxExpo
right now.

Previous sentence too long.  Bad lint rating.  Stop now.

--david