Python: performance, footprint, multi-threading, etc.

Alexander Staubo earlybird at mop.no
Sun May 30 17:08:38 EDT 1999

In article <374ab313.6518783 at news.omnilink.de>, spamfranke at bigfoot.de
says...
> On Tue, 25 May 1999 02:44:10 +0200, earlybird at mop.no (Alexander Staubo) wrote:
>
> >Read up on completion ports; if you're looking for speed, there is
> >currently no better way of synchronizing threads on Win32. Completion
> >ports obviate the need for the scheduler to search for threads to wake,
> >one of the reason loads of threads can bog down a system.
>
> Sounds interesting. Since I don't know anything about Win32 threading,
> do you have any pointers that could give me an intro?

Well, the MSDN documentation attempts (and fails, I rather prefer to
think) at explaining it lucidly; iirc, all the documentation is available
for free on the MSDN site: <URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/>.

However, for an introduction, see Mark Russonovich's articles about NT.
This article contains a great explanation of what IOCPS are and why
they're so efficient compared to, say, traditional nonblocking I/O:

	Linux and the Enterprise
	<URL:http://www.winntmag.com/Magazine/Article.cfm?ArticleID=5048>

This article deals primarily with IOCPs from a kernel-driver-writer
perspective, but still useful:

	Inside I/O Completion Ports
	<URL:http://www.sysinternals.com/comport.htm>

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"It has taken the planet Earth 4.5 billion years to discover it is