Python CGI under IIS not working any more - any ideas?

Andrew Clover esuzm at primrose.csv.warwick.ac.uk
Sun May 9 15:28:23 EDT 1999

Strange...

 After a hard disc crash we recently had to reinstall WinNT 4 SP4, IIS 3, and
Python 1.5.2 (final) which amongst other things being used to serve up CGI
scripts.

 I've set up all the Internet Service Manager settings as they were (virtual
directories with Execute-only access), and set the Script Map Registry
setting to use "e:\web\Python\python.exe %s %s" for .cgi files, as it was
before. However, Python CGI scripts mysteriously don't work any more.

 Other Python programs are fine.

 The CGI scripts themselves are not getting run at all; you can put the name
of a non-existent .cgi file in and the same results happen, namely IIS
complains that the CGI program has failed to produce complete HTTP headers,
and lists the output it did produce, which is nothing at all.

 This happens even if I replace the registry setting to
"e:\web\Python\python.exe --help", which should generate output pretty
reliably I'd have thought. python.exe is at least being found, though, because
changing the entry to point to python_arse.exe makes it fail in a different
way, complaining about a missing file.

 Has anyone had this? Why is python.exe *apparently* being run but producing
no output at all?

 Either I've just forgotten something really stupid, and I'm a foolish
buffoon, or there's some sort of bug somewhere. (Maybe I should just get a
new Unix/Apache system. :-) )

--
This e-mail was brought to you by And Clover.
(Sorry.)