wishlist: more general file objects, and some doc improvements

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at compaq.com
Wed May 5 18:31:18 EDT 1999

Dan Schmidt wrote:

> Perhaps we could both be satisfied by a 'filename' class,

I like the concept, but I don't think I like the
idea of calling it a "filename". To my way of thinking,
a filename is just a character string, and this is more
than that. Also, it might not refer to a file - it might
be a directory, symbolic link, named pipe, etc. etc.

It really needs to be called a filesystementity or
something, but that's too long-winded.

In REALbasic it's called a FolderItem, but that seems
a bit obscure to me. At least it wasn't obvious to me
what it meant without reading the manual.

Any other suggestions?

Greg