while (a=b()) ... (famous last words, or something)

Nathan Clegg nathan at islanddata.com
Wed May 12 13:13:51 EDT 1999

On 12-May-99 Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> and when you ask experienced Python programmers
> what they would like to add to Python, they NEVER
> mention this.

I've been using python for over six years.  I mention it.

> I'm beginning to think that if you really consider this
> as a problem, you're simply not writing enough Python
> code.

Something doesn't have to be a "problem" to have room for growth.  I love
python and hold it as my favorite language to work with.  This does not
remove it from the realm of Imperfection, and desires for new features are
not always rooted in "my old language does it."  This desire, at least for
me, is rooted in "this is a good, useable feature that increases
productivity, readability, and code elegance."

Is it a problem?  No.  Do we change python to be more like other languages
in order to make it easier to convert people?  No.  Do we investigate
(even continually investigate) improvements to our favorite tool?  Damn
right.

Nathan Clegg
 nathan at islanddata.com