Python vs. VB

Jason Trenouth jason at harlequin.com
Thu May 20 08:02:36 EDT 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999 12:26:49 GMT, "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com>
wrote:

> > Use one language for both time intensive execution and for high speed
> > development: Dylan.
>
> looks we've finally got our own scott raney ;-)

Who is Scott Raney?

(I realize I've probably crossed a Netiquette line, but)

I just thought I'd take time out to let scripters know that they don't have to
choose between efficient compilation and interactive development. You can have
your cake and eat it too.

__Jason

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------

// A sample Dylan interactive session

? 1 + 2;
=>  $0 = 3

? define method double (x :: <integer>) x + x end;
=> No values

? double(2);
=>  $1 = 4

? define method double (x :: <string>) concatenate(x, x) end;
=> No values

? double("Dylan");
=>  $2 = "DylanDylan"

? define method double (x :: <function>) compose(x, x) end;
=> No values

? double(double);
=>  $3 = {<simple-closure-method>}

? $3(2);
=>  $4 = 8

? $3("Dylan");
=>  $5 = "DylanDylanDylanDylan"

? define constant quadruple = $3;
=> No values

? quadruple("Dylan");
=>  $6 = "DylanDylanDylanDylan"

? quadruple(quadruple);
=>  $7 = {<simple-closure-method>}

? $7(2);
=>  $8 = 512

All the expressions were compiled to native Intel x86 instructions before
executing.