Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

Sean Murphy smurphy*NOSPAM* at schange.com
Thu May 6 13:57:11 EDT 1999

Anybody who really wants to "Pose as you" on the Internet can do it
with or with out this PIII Id Number.  There are a whole host of
Numbers you system transmits out to the web when you are surfing.
Some of these you have control over some you don't.

FWIW - Any body who can get you PIII Machine to give up the ID to then
and then cause his Machine transmit it (or a simulation of it).  Has
enough knowledge of PCs and the Internet to get all of info he needs
to "pose as you" Even if you don't have a PIII.

As far as your buying and surfing habits on the web.  That is also
already available to anybody willing to pay for it.  Most ISPs will
sell that data in flash.  Oh, they may say they don't but do you
really believe that.

These new chips aren't going to present any new issues for your
"On-line privacy" on the web.  This is just easy enough that the media
can some what understand it and cause the public to get all freaked
out with their Misinformation and Misrepresentation of the facts.

People love to hate companies like, Intel and Microsoft but most of
them don't know why.  Chances are if you are reading this.  You and
using at least one chip (most likely more) made by Intel, and AT LEAST
ONE software package made by Microsoft.  Just take a minute and think
about the ways These two "unthinkable monsters" have affected your
life. ....  (I'll wait)

That's what I thought.  Life is a whole lot nicer with them around.
Isn't it?  Well, I guess we could go back to the Commodore 64s right.

That's my $0.02