PROPOSAL: Packages in Python lib

Martijn Faassen faassen at pop.vet.uu.nl
Mon May 3 09:36:37 EDT 1999

Paul Prescod wrote:

Ilja Heitlager wrote:
> >But please... no Poldermodels here.
>
> I'm not familar with that word.

A couple of years ago the Netherlands was apparently doing exceptionally
well economically compared to most of the rest of Europe (it still seems
to do rather well); this was attributed to the Dutch 'polder model' of
economics (a polder is land reclaimed from the sea, though the model has
nothing to do with that as far as I know). The polder model is based
mainly on consensus between the various parties in the Dutch economy;
employers, employees, unions, government, etc. Wages were kept
relatively low for instance without massive social unrest. The idea is
that this was a positive impulse for the Dutch economy.

Of course, before all that there were the Swedish model that was very
popular, and I've heard of the Rineland model and the Anglo-Saxon model
too, and I don't know enough about economics to judge if there's much
truth or difference in any of these models.

So I think what Ilja meant to say 'no endless debates to reach consensus
here, let's just let Guido do his thing'.

Of course Guido can and should do his thing, but I think Guido in
general appreciates at least some debates about the possibilities and
consequencse of proposed changes, so that he can take the best ones and
expert on everything (gasp!), so that's another way the newsgroup (and
the SIGs etc) can be useful to him.

After all, Usenet is in a large part about endless debates anyway, even
though consensus is sometimes far away. comp.lang.python isn't that bad
consensuswise anyway -- we manage to avoid quite a bit of the flaming
and rudeness that occurs in many other newsgroups, has been my
experience.

comp.lang.python-the-poldermodelgroup-of-usenet?-ly yours,

Martijn