Trouble with proxies

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon May 3 15:31:12 EDT 1999

Bruce Fletcher wrote:
> error: (10054, 'winsock error')
>
> Where do I go from here?  I've tried to start a dialog with Ositis,
> but I'm not very hopeful that they will be able to help.

I've lost the beginning of this thread, but you may wish
to make sure that urllib.py is sending a Host header with
the request.

try adding some debugging code to urllib.py's open_http;
something like:

  h = httplib.HTTP(host)
  h.set_debuglevel(1) # enable logging

and post the result.  may give us some additional
clues.

> As an aside, I am curious why the 'winsock error' is occuring,
> since the response from the proxy server looks pretty full-
> formed.

error 10054 is "connection reset" -- in other words, the
connection was explicitly closed by the server (the fact
that the exception occurs in a readline seems to indicate
that someone's reading too far...)

</F>