Using Python for Modular Artificial Intelligence code

Tim Auld astro at nospam.tne.net.au
Mon May 3 08:29:26 EDT 1999

>>The reason I'm using C++ is mainly because I'm familiar
>>with it, and because of speed.  I'm aware that Python is relatively slow,
>so
>>I would rather use C++ as a base from the start, and save myself the
>trouble
>>of rewriting it all later.
>
>I did some work in C and later I had to switch over to Java. What a
>relief!!!!!!
>Increased productivity, no more pointers!!!!!! Then I discovered Python,
>which I love even better. Now I can test interactively. Full COM support
>(interactive!!!!)
>Short code-debug cycles (no compilation). This is what you need to develop.

>Don't go blind on speed and don;t be afraid to code things twice! You read
>more and more nowadays about the two-language approach. A scripting
language
>like Python and a system language like C++ or Java (I know, it sounds a bit
>odd).
>You can learn Python in a few days and it will really improve your
>productivity

Sure, I can appreciate the programming ease which these higher level
languages bring (I think Java is really clean), but when you are working on
games you kinda need to go "blind on speed" to a large degree.  It's no good
having a game that was easy to program if it runs like a dog.  And perhaps
you can speed it up by writing parts in C, but I've had several years
experience in C already, and I enjoy it.  Tools for C/C++ and improving a
lot also - I love the function parameter help VC++ 6.0 gives you, the browse
info, and the debugger.  There's also incremental compile/link.  Add to this
great online help resources, mountains of great books, and support from
other programmers, and there's still a great case for C/C++.  You can learn
the syntax to any language in a few days, but a language is more than just
syntax.  There are many small things you need to learn, and the different
libraries/APIs/tools/experience etc. that come along with it.

This is not supposed to be a "my language is better than yours" debate :)
please let's agree to disagree - I really think Python is good, it's just
that using it doesn't weigh up in this situation.

Regards,
Tim