Python: performance, footprint, multi-threading, etc.

John Mitchell johnm at magnet.com
Fri May 21 14:41:35 EDT 1999

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Tim Browse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just started looking into Python as a possible scripting language
> for a game we're developing. [...]
>
> Performance

Is Ultraseek fast enough for you?  As I understand it, they prototyped
with Python then moved layers into C as needed for performance.  Note also
that Python with the Numerics extensions, a general purpose platform,
handles equations and the like faster than Mathematica, a special-purpose
software.

I cant respond to your other points, but you may want to check out Alice:

"Alice is an interactive 3D graphics package originally developed at the
University of Virginia, and under continuing development at Carnegie
Mellon University. The goal of Alice is to make 3D graphics easy to learn
and use. Python provides interactivity and clean syntax so even novice
computer users can be successful and have fun with Alice. Alice for
Windows 95 is available FREE from The Alice Home Page."

http://alice.cs.cmu.edu/

(from the "Ongoing Python Projects" page:
http://www.python.org/psa/Projects.html )

- j