while (a=b()) ...

Magnus L. Hetland mlh at idt.ntnu.no
Sat May 15 19:52:38 EDT 1999

Dan Schmidt <dfan at harmonixmusic.com> writes:

> mlh at idt.ntnu.no (Magnus L. Hetland) writes:

[...]
> Thanks for the reference.  I looked up your informative December post
> in dejanews (you might want to put a copy of it on your web site; it's
> better than no documentation at all).

That's a thought... I *am* typing in the original article by Halaas,
but it's a bit long...

> One thing which Knuth's construct (actually, he stole it from Zahn)

Halaas' structure is an attempt to improve both Knuth's and Zahn's
constructs.

> has that Halaas' lacks is the ability to catch the break-exceptions
> from outside the loop, along with information associated with the
> exception.

Hm... I'm not sure if I follow you here... (Sorry... :)

Part of the intention of the detecto-structure was to make programs
more readable, controlling stuff "with natural language".

--

  Magnus
  Lie