Defining VCL-like framework for Python

Hans Nowak ivnowa at hvision.nl
Wed May 19 16:46:39 EDT 1999

On 19 May 99, Ce'Nedra took her magical amulet and heard Alexander Staubo say:

>[snip]
>> Arguably, Tkinter doesn't even "suck". Yes, people do wonder about the
>> Tcl dependence from time to time, but this is only really a
>> consideration where installation issues (restrictions, managing versions
>> of lots of different packages) are more important than usual.
>
>Different strokes for different folks, I guess. A big beef with Tkinter is
>that it requires 1.4MB worth of runtime DLLs to be bundled with any
>application.

That's one way to put it... you just need Python and Tkinter, otherwise it won't
work. Delphi has very fat EXE files. One way or the other, you pay the price.

>> > Note that the project I have delineated here is not about "reproducing
>> > Delphi in Python". At least not yet. :) I want mainly to steal a few
>> > good ideas, improve others, and create something that makes Python
>> > more valuable to those "visual" programmers out there -- one of whom I
>> > don't necessarily count myself, although I sure miss a good windowing
>> > toolkit in Python; it deserves one.
>>
>> It would indeed be good to create such a tool, but I do question the
>> need to write an entirely new toolkit to achieve this.
>
>Actually I did expect the Spanish Inquisition when I wrote my proposal,
>but I'm still surprised by the response.

It would have been lots more if you had put "+=" or "Perl" in your message
header... ;^)

Veel liefs,

+  Hans Nowak  (Zephyr Falcon)
+  Homepage (under construction): http://www.cuci.nl/~hnowak/
+  You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.
+  May a hard-core dweeb poison your rights!