Sparse matrix equation solver sought

Travis Oliphant olipt at mayo.edu
Tue May 4 09:16:12 EDT 1999

Numerical python needs some solid sparse matrix methods.  It is definitely
possible, and least a couple of people have done some work.

There is a sparsematrix module linked to on the scientific computing topic
page at www.python.org.  The link is
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~nascheme/python/sparsemodule-0.2.tar.gz

Konrad Hinsen has also done some very specific sparse matrix work in his
molecular modeling toolkit.  His work is also linked at
http://www.python.org/topics/scicomp/numbercrunching.html

If you have some sparse matrix code you are used to in C or Fortran it is
really pretty easy to get it to interface with NumPy arrays (after you've
done it a couple of times :-) ).  If the code you will be using is freely
available I would be willing to help as I'm looking to put together a
sparse matrix package at some point in the next several months.

Good luck,

Travis Oliphant