strange urlget problem... firewall related?

Preston Landers planders at mail.utexas.edu
Sat May 29 02:36:10 EDT 1999

Hello everyone...

First of all, thank you all for being so tolerant and helpful with my
previous questions.

I'm back with another, and it's concerning some strange behavior I'm
seeing with urllib and urlget.

This little snippet of code works as expected on my machine:

from urllib import urlopen
Data = urlopen("http://www.python.org/").read()
print Data

However, when I run it on another machine running Slackware (and
Python 1.5.1, same as my machine), the first 20 or so lines are cut
off and the rest of the document is printed!  It seems to be cut by
the same amount every time though I haven't determined yet exactly how
much is cut.  This really plays havoc with my scripts as one of their
main functions is to scan HTML header stuff.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?  Could it be related
to the fact that the Slackware box is behind a firewall?  Any clues on
how to work around this problem?  I've never seen anything like this
before.

Your help sincerely appreciated,

Preston Landers