Using Tkinter in windows 98

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Sat May 29 20:19:40 EDT 1999

On Sat, 29 May 1999 15:29:38 -0700, "Dennis Wilson"
<lincwils at teleport.com> wrote:

>My machine is an ibm aptive with windows 98 installed. I have a beautifully
>running tcl and perl with tk. I have tried to install and get to work python
>with tkinter. What an adventure.
>
>This final error message has me stymied.
>in python
>ImportError: DLL Load: a device attached to the system is not functioning.
>
>Like which device. The system is working fine. Python is not functioning.
>
>Just an aside, these kinds of vacuous error messages are part of what gives
>software a bad name.

This error means that _tkinter.pyd can't load one of the TCL/TK DLLs
correctly.  The problem is that the TCL/TK DLLs cannot find a system
DLL that it is dependent on.  Search for old TCL/TK DLLs and get rid
of them.  If that doesn't work, try a clean install of TCL/TK.

BTW, the error message comes from Windows, not Python.  The OS should
be getting the bad name, not the software.

>Let's go down a quick check list of what I can think of:
>    the keyboard:  nope, I am typing this email and keys are appearing
>    the monitor:     nope, I can see what I am doing
>    the harddrive:  nope, I can save things
>    the cpu:            I don't think so.
>    the printer:       nope, I just printed something off the web.
>    So what is going on?????

_device_ seems to be MSSpeak for _system_DLL_.