Python vs. VB

Lars Marius Garshol larsga at ifi.uio.no
Tue May 18 04:55:35 EDT 1999

* Roy Stephan

| We developed a number of database objects in VB that were difficult
| to incorporate with delphi scripts.  They also ran painfully slow
| and were difficult to extend.  We are in the process of re-writting
| them in C++.

I'm not sure if Python objects will run any faster, but one argument
you can use is that it's easy to replace the critical bits with C/C++
code. Another is that Python objects are likely to be much easier to
extend and structure properly than VB ones.

Oh, and you'll probably be asked: can we hire people who already know
Python? My experience has been no, but that it's just a matter of two
days of training anyway.

Also, I distinctly remember some posts to this newsgroup from people
who used to use Visual Basic and who were so ecstatic about Python
they just had to post about it here. Deja.com can probably help you
locate those articles.

--Lars M.