Python 2.0

Darrell news at dorb.com
Mon May 31 19:16:52 EDT 1999

Markus Stenberg <mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI> wrote in message
news:al8pv3i6wbg.fsf at kruuna.Helsinki.FI...

> CORBA is about as fast as COM, protocol-wise I think it is even slightly
> faster (much less action behind the scenes), _but_ many implementations
> suck.

I hope (ORBit) becomes a good one.

> > Also does an open source bridge exist between Corba and COM ?
> > Picture a Corba/COM component that lives in UNIX and is
> > callable from Windows. Sort of takes the hot air out of arguments to use
> > NT servers.
>
> At least M$ brags in their whitepapers that DCOM can access CORBA via some
> bridges (available where? I know not), so I suppose such a beast exists.

Wonder if a killer app for python might be to provide scripting on both
sides, DCOM and CORBA.
I have users that run a windows desktop to control Solaris applications.
Currently the NT forces are
winning with the idea of dumping the huge Sun boxes in favor or NT. Of
course everything will be
written in Java ....

This isn't a pressing problem for us yet, but I worry.

--Darrell