Productivity and the two language approach (was: Using Python for Modular Artificial Intelligence code)

Ilja Heitlager news at helen.demon.nl
Tue May 4 11:08:47 EDT 1999

Fredrik Lundh wrote in message
<009001be9633$e3875bf0$f29b12c2 at pythonware.com>...
>careful with those figures.  iirc, they describe existing
>projects that were rewritten in Tcl by experienced
>programmers,
It described 5 C first and 3 Tcl first projects. 8 projects is not enough
evidence, I know, but it is convincing, at least to my manager ;-)

> and seem to focus on coding and code
>debugging efforts only.  there's a lot more to take into
>account out in the real world...

Real developers start with requirements, analysis, design and later
implementation, testing and user testing ;-).

Anyway, currently I am working on a algebraic pattern matcher. The project
is on a code-test-design basis (with a lot of ADT's and list-processing
algo's). Having short code-test cycle's, interactivity/scripting, *NO
POINTERS* and Python's nifty language features is *REALLY* improving my
productivity.

And a good C++ programmer is probably more productive than a bad Python
programmer. (As Tim is telling us).

SOOOO, it all depends, right?

>python's no silver bullet, you know...
No, it's platinum ;-)