Defining VCL-like framework for Python

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed May 19 23:07:02 EDT 1999

Alexander, I'd like to put in a vote of support
for your Python VCL project. I hope you won't be
put off too much by all the negative comments it
seems to have elicited.

I, for one, agree that there is a need for a
cross-platform GUI *framework* for Python (as
opposed to a toolkit). I even started a project
of that sort myself a while ago, and so did
a couple of other people. There was even a SIG
started on the topic, although the mailing list
is currently inactive due to lack of use.

If you want to see what I came up with, check out:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/

The current version is based on the Python X/Motif
module. I'm (slowly) working on another version based
on a direct SWIG interface to Xlib, and I may start
on a Mac version at some future date.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with!

Greg