Books on Python (for OO merit)

William Tanksley wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net
Sun May 2 21:49:23 EDT 1999

On Mon, 03 May 1999 00:36:48 GMT, David M. Cook wrote:
>On Sun, 02 May 1999 23:47:02 GMT, William Tanksley
><wtanksle at dolphin.openprojects.net> wrote:

>>OOSC2 is interesting, but IMO it's more of an advert for Meyer's company
>>(and the language they sell, Eiffel) than anything else.

>I think you'll find that true of many of the other big names in the field.
>Their methodology is partly an advert for some CASE tool or other.  Meyer
>writes much better than most of them, though.

Indeed he does.  It's a fun book, if you want to design a language (which
I always have).

>I generally don't trust books with C++ in the title.

Nor do I, but there's a few reasons to get one:

 - it's a really good book.
 - on some topics it really helps to be concrete and specific.
 - C++ sucks and needs all the help it can get.
 - I'm stuck with C++ and need all the help I can get.

This book (John Lakos') fills the bill for all four.

However, it doesn't really cover logical design -- it's mainly about
physical design.  It's the only book I've seen on the topic, and even if
it's supposed to be about working around the difficulties C++ has, it's
still great for the topic.

>Dave Cook

except-the-last-ly yr's,

--