Object Persistence in CGI (fwd)

John Mitchell johnm at magnet.com
Wed May 19 15:20:38 EDT 1999

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Lulu wrote (and I heavily edited):

> I am new to Python, but not to programming generally.  [...]
> The question I have here is about the best approach to storing this
> persistent data.  Several concerns come to mind:
>
>     1. Concurrency.
>     2. Efficiency.
>     3. Ease-of-implementation.
>     4. Reliability.
>     5. Speed.

I think Zope (http://www.zope.org/) will handle all your issues, and will
give a stable framework to develop applications.

I am currently using Java and Live Software's JRun (Java Server Pages)
product, and am cursing about #3: Ease-of-implementation and #4:
(development) Reliability.  Since in my case I dont care about #1, #2, or
#5; the days numbered until I return to Zope.  (I repeatedly pray for
pernicious anemia to afflict those who thought (any-language) embedded in
HTML was a good idea.  Ugh!)

More importantly, I developed an ad server under a previous version of
Zope; specifically the persistance engine (PCGI).  The product is used on
a large unnamed medical site, and is handling ~100,000 requests/day with
no sweat, and has done so for a year.  Dumb luck?  I doubt it.  Hats off
to Jim Fulton and the other Digital Creations types.

- j