An efficient split function

William S. Lear rael at see.sig
Mon May 10 13:06:36 EDT 1999

"Andrew M. Kuchling" <akuchlin at cnri.reston.va.us> writes:
> William S. Lear writes:
> >Surprisingly, to me, the Python version far outperformed the Perl
> >version.  Running on 1 million lines of input of 9 fields each, the
> >Python version ran in just under 20 seconds, the Perl version in just
> >under 40 seconds (this on a 400Mhz Pentium Linux box).
>
> 	Note that your use of split(/\|/) in Perl requires using the
> regular expression engine, instead of a simple C splitting loop .  Try
> using a literal string instead of a regex, as in split('|', ...); that
> will probably even out the speeds.

Thanks for the suggestion, which I had tried originally, but got
marginally worse performance than with the regexp.  For some reason, I
did have to do split('\|') instead of split('|'), which I found curious.

As long as I'm not doing something entirely ridiculous...

Thanks again.

Bill
--
William S. Lear | Who is there that sees not that this inextricable labyrinth
r a e l @       | of reasons  of state was artfully invented, lest the people