PROPOSAL: Packages in Python lib

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun May 2 17:58:11 EDT 1999

"Peter A. Koren" wrote:

> Hans Nowak wrote:
> >
>  I have been trying
> > myself to organize all kinds of modules in a package collection, and a
> > problem that occurs quite often is, that a module can logically belong in
> > more than one package. For instance, modules dealing with HTML parsing, do
> > they belong in the Internet package, or in the Text package? (Yes, you don't
> > have those packages here... but I do. :^)
>
> Hmmmmm, it sounds like we need some conditional import mechanism.

I interpreted Hans' message as reporting the usual problem with building
ontologies -- the world isn't strictly hierarchical and people wouldn't
agree on the hierarchy even if it was. I think you interpred his message
differently, because I don't see how a conditional import mechanism would
help this problem.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

"Microsoft spokesman Ian Hatton admits that the Linux system would have
performed better had it been tuned."
"Future press releases on the issue will clearly state that the research