Python vs. VB

Gustin Kiffney kiffney at my-dejanews.com
Wed May 19 10:13:16 EDT 1999

As far as 'talking points' on how Python and COM work
together, you could look at

http://www.python.org/windows/win32com/COMTutorial/index.htm

which Mark Hammond and Greg Stein put together.

My suggestion is to just redo something you already have
with Python and COM and show them the clean, slick,
readable code.

Then point out how many things you could do in VB3 won't
work in VB5, and VB5 things won't work in VB6.

Then you could show them the bald spot on my head where
I tore out all the hair trying to get something simple
to work between VB and Access, to the point of rewriting
hundreds of lines of code, then giving up, then finding
a bug report posted (dated after I'd figuratively jumped out
the window) that said yes, it's a bug, no, they're not
going to fix it, upgrade to VBx+1.

Then note that when you have a problem with how Python
works, or aren't sure what's happening behind the scenes,
*you*CAN*LOOK*AT*THE*PYTHON*SOURCE. I'm telling you, when
all else fails, and that last 10% or 1% isn't working,
the source will save you.