Is pcgi usable without Zope?

Jan Decaluwe jand at easics.be
Wed Jun 2 08:53:34 EDT 1999

Paul Everitt wrote:

> Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> >
> > I have to admit that I'm a bit confused about pcgi these days.  The
> > most recent documentation for it was last updated in August, 1998, and
> > it still refers to Bobo and Principia.
>
> We're certainly not helping -- I agree that stuff is strewn around all
> over the place.
>
> > Now that we have Zope, is pcgi now intimately bundled with it, never
> > to emerge on its own again?  Or is there a way to run pcgi without
> > Zope?
>
> I don't think PCGI is intimately bundled with Zope.  Neither is the
> object publisher, object database, the template system, etc.  All can be
> used independently.

We are using pcgi with independent Zope components without problems -
the pcgi documentation is quite good and the new names for the Zope
components don't really matter.

The independent Zope components can also be used as before with Bobo,
at least for the python-only versions. To use the full versions -
including the C extensions and C modules - we do a full installation of
Zope and then point to Zope's lib/python/ directory in the PCGI_INSERT_PATH
variable of the pcgi info file.

--
Jan Decaluwe	       Easics
Design Manager         SoC design services & web tools