htmllib: CR in CDATA

Mark Nottingham mnot at pobox.com
Tue Jun 22 06:29:23 EDT 1999

OK, I'm starting to have a really nice conversation with myself now ;-)

htmllib DOESN'T change the newline to a single space - it leaves it in.

CDATA is a sequence of characters from the document character set and may
include character entities. User agents should interpret attribute values as
follows:
          Replace character entities with characters,
          Ignore line feeds,
          Replace each carriage return or tab with a single space.
     User agents may ignore leading and trailing white space in CDATA
attribute values (e.g., "   myval   " may be interpreted as "myval").
Authors should not declare attribute values with leading or trailing white
space.

If I'm wrong this time, someone please save us both the trouble and shoot
me.

Example:

#!/opt/local/bin/python
body = '''\
<HTML>
<A HREF="image.
jpg">
</HTML>
'''
import formatter, htmllib, sys, string
parser = htmllib.HTMLParser(formatter.NullFormatter())
parser.feed(body)
print parser.anchorlist