Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Robin Dunn robin at alldunn.com
Tue Jun 29 03:41:43 EDT 1999

Gee, I'm away from the newsgroup for just a few days and look what happens.
People everywhere start talking about me and my kid, comparing him to the
other kids on the block and trying to figure out whose kid is better,
faster, cuter, etc.  Personally, I'm happy if they all just play together
nicely.

Seriously though, I guess it's time for me to put in my 2 cents...  I don't
think that wxPython is ready to replace tkinter as the defacto standard,
(though it would be nice if it was someday.)  Quite simply it just doesn't
have broad enough platform support.  Now if somebody could convince Steve
Jobs to give me a Mac then maybe I could help do something about that
problem, but until then I can't.

I also don't think that wxPython is ready yet to be included with the Python
distribution.  (Notice I said "yet.")  wxPython (and wxWindows itself) is
still changing too fast to be stable enough for Guido to not lay awake at
night worrying about it.  On the other hand, I expect that to change over
the next few months so maybe by the time 1.6 is close to being ready we
shoudl address this again...

One real good idea to come out of this thread is wxTk, building a wxWindows
port on top of the Tk C API.  That would certainly help get the platform
coverage, and help reduce some library dependencies.  A fair amount of
wxWindows is written genericly using wxWindows and no platform code so it
would not be as big of a job as it seems...

Well enough of my rambling.

Have fun and Happy Pythoning!

--
Robin Dunn