"The Python Way"

Martijn Faassen faassen at pop.vet.uu.nl
Mon Jun 7 10:38:53 EDT 1999

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Patrick Phalen]
> > (Have you noticed that, during such periods, both Guido and Tim
> > seem to become singularly quiet?)

> It's just old.  python.org has archives of the pre-c.l.py days, and you'll
> find many of the old-timers arguing vigorously about all the "current
> issues" 8 years ago already.  There have been few notable advances in the
> art of GC-- let alone whitespace --since then, and repetition is tiring.

What? Then what do you call the invention of alien whitespace eating
nanoviruses, and hardware whitespace processors (though still buggy)? :)

> That doesn't mean people to whom it's all fresh shouldn't have fun clawing
> each others' eyes out, though.  OTOH, doesn't mean they should, either.

But we want to claw the old-timers' eyes out!

> > Not that Python shouldn't be open to critique,
>
> It's far too late to complain about 1.5.2 <0.9 wink>.
>
> > but the more I use and learn about the language, the more I find myself
> > appreciating the nice balance and heft Guido gave to it. Yet there doesn't
> > seem to be a single document that sums up that "aesthetic," but rather it
> > tends to appear piecemeal, over time, mostly in the Wisdom of Chairman
> > Tim.

> Eh?  I make shit up as I go along -- & Guido often appears to think that my
> fabrications would be good positions for him to have pretended he had all
> along too.   OTOH, after all these years, I *still* have to lecture him
> about his true vision of what Python should be ... although he learns pretty
> fast, for a Dutch guy <wink>.

Watch it, pal!

[snip]

[proposed elements of style document for Python]
> > Tim? Guido?

> Clearly a job for Guido alone -- although I doubt it's one he'll take on
> (fwiw, I wish he would too!).  Here's the outline he would start from,
> though <wink>:

[snip outline list]
>     There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.
>     Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch.

At least I have one advantage here. :) (if anyone wants to know the
obvious way to do it in Python, just contact me, Genuine Dutch (tm), low
consulting fees, etc)

Regards,

Martijn