do anonymous pipes normally work on NT?

radbit at my-deja.com radbit at my-deja.com
Wed Jun 16 15:08:11 EDT 1999

In article <4D0A23B3F74DD111ACCD00805F31D8100DB90DDC at RED-MSG-50>,
  Bill Tutt <billtut at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Well, I finally noticed this thread, and I'll chime in with what I
found out
> so far:
> (No, I haven't figured it all out yet, its time for sleep.)
>
> Symptoms:
>  python -u cat.py < cat.py  is allowed to read from stdin.
>  python cat.py < cat.py isn't allowed to read from stdin.
>  python -u cat.py > blah is allowed to write to stdout
>  python cat.py > blah isn't allowed to wrtie to stdout.
>  python runproc.py (with -u) cat.py isn't allowed to write to stdout
>  python runproc.py cat.py isn't allowed to write to stdout.
>
> -u does two things:
> 1) turns stdin/stdout into binary streams
> 2) turns off stdio buffering

Hi

maybe I'm missing something about what you are looking for: here are 2
test scripts that work as anonymous pipes:

file runproc.py
---------------

'''runproc.py

start a process with three inherited pipes.
Try to write to and read from those.
'''

import win32api
import win32pipe
import win32file
import win32process
import win32security
import win32event
import os

#Constants for stdandard handles
STD_ERR_HANDLE=-12
STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE=-11
STD_INPUT_HANDLE=-10

class Process:
    def run(self, cmdline):

        # security attributes for pipes
        sAttrs = win32security.SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES()
        sAttrs.bInheritHandle = 1

        # create pipes
        hStdin_r,self.hStdin_w=win32pipe.CreatePipe(sAttrs, 0)
        self.hStdout_r,hStdout_w=win32pipe.CreatePipe(sAttrs,0)
        self.hStderr_r,hStderr_w=win32pipe.CreatePipe(sAttrs, 0)

        #associate Standard output to previously open handle
        win32api.SetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE,hStdout_w)

        # set the info structure for the new process.
        StartupInfo = win32process.STARTUPINFO()

        # start the process.
        hProcess, hThread, dwPid, dwTid=win32process.CreateProcess(
                None, #program
                cmdline,# command line
                sAttrs,  # process security attributes
                sAttrs,  # thread attributes
                1,      # inherit handles,
                win32process.NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS,
                None,  # no new environment
                None,  # current directory (stay where we are)
                StartupInfo)
        # normally, we would save the pid etc. here...

        res, str = win32file.ReadFile(self.hStdout_r,100)
        if res == 0: print 'read:', str
        else: 'read nothing.'

if __name__ == '__main__':
    p = Process()
    p.run('..\\python.exe testpipe.py')
-----------------
end of runproc.py

file testpipe.py
----------------
import win32api
import win32file

STD_ERR_HANDLE=-12
STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE=-11
STD_INPUT_HANDLE=-10

std_in=win32api.GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE)
std_err=win32api.GetStdHandle(STD_ERR_HANDLE)
std_out=win32api.GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE)

win32file.WriteFile(std_out, 'this method works....')

end of testpipe.py

Cheers

Florent Heyworth

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/