Python script background execution...

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Mon Jun 28 14:44:58 EDT 1999

NO_SPAMnpirzkal at hq.eso.org wrote:
: Hi,

:  I do not seem to be able to run my python script in the background (test.py
: &..). After a couple of second, the OS (Solaris 2.5.1) reports that the
: process has been suspended.
:  Does anyone know what I am missing?

:   Nor

Solaris has signals for reading from and writing to the terminal while
in the background.  If your script has "print" statements or calls to
sys.stdout.write or sys.stderr.write (or write to /dev/tty), then
you'll get a SIGTTOU signal.  Likewise if you read with "input()" or
"raw_input()" or make calls to sys.stdin.read*() (or read from
/dev/tty), then you will get a SIGTTIN signal.  You will want to
open a log file and write to that and not read from the terminal.

Check if you are getting either of these signals.

  -Arcege