OO (was: Why is tcl broken?)

Fernando Mato Mira matomira at iname.com
Mon Jun 14 06:13:24 EDT 1999

Andreas Bogk wrote:

> Fernando Mato Mira <matomira at iname.com> writes:

> This is an age-old flamewar. It just so happens that there are people
> who like infix syntax and detest prefix, and then there are people who
> love their parens and hate infix.

I have no idea what flamewars have been going on in comp.lang.dylan,
as it's the first time I set foot here, so FWIW, here's what I think:

1. The Dylan case is different. It was supposed to have 2 syntaxes.
2. I was not excited about the Dylan effort when it came out, as it the
main   motivation was to create a new language for some Apple palmtop,
and this consumed resources that could have been used to improve CL (it
could be argued that it was an `improved Scheme' but how about
supporting EULisp instead?).
3. CMU shuts down CMUCL and starts to work on Dylan. Bad
3. Apple decides to drop the Lisp syntax. Bad.
4. Apple drops Dylan.
5. Open Source community embraces Dylan. Great. Multimethods to the
mainstream.

The question is: what prevents you now from to going back to the
original idea?
[I'm sorry, if I was funded to spend time myself in creating a Lisp
frontend
for something, it would be for Cecil. If CLOS were too heavy for
something,
there's much more to gain over there. And good prototype-based dialect
would
be a more interesting addition to the Lisp family.]

Regards,

--
Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Eng & Networking