GC In Python: YAS (Yet Another Summary)

Stuart Yeates syeates at cs.waikato.ac.nz
Fri Jun 25 15:53:18 EDT 1999

Andrew Dalke (dalke at bioreason.com) wrote:
| Stuart Yeates <syeates at cs.waikato.ac.nz> said:
| > Of course, if anything does pointer XORing or other crimes,
| > tools such as these are unavaliable.
|
| Here's one which isn't a crime but would still have problems.
| One of the C libraries we use also supports FORTRAN.  To do this,
| it internally maps all pointers to integer handles, and it is
| these integers which are used in the client apps.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'integer handle,' but if you
do a straight cast then it shouldn't be a problem (since the
collector operates on the binaries representation). If you mean
that it uses an index to an array of pointers (or some such),
then that shouldn't be a problem either, since the pointer still
exists somewhere (i.e. the array).

stuart
--    stuart yeates <s.yeates at cs.waikato.ac.nz> aka `loam'
If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate.