Python 2.0

Yukihiro Matsumoto matz at netlab.co.jp
Thu Jun 10 21:55:36 EDT 1999

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at compaq.com> writes:

|Obviously this is true if the M&S can be sure of finding
|all the roots, since the refcount information is then
|redundant.

M&S without knowing all roots is not only imperfect, but also hell. It
may free living objects.  On the other hand, mark and DETECT method to
report cyclic reference would have no problem, though not amusing
really.

With proper M&S, refcount infomation appears redundant.  But M&S makes
reclamation and finalization behavior incompatible, so I doubt we can
remove refcounting from future Python.

						matz.