Idle comments

Ragica ragica at news.vex.net
Sat Jun 5 19:55:02 EDT 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 01:30:17 -0400, Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>[Ragica, zzz at NO-MAIL.com, which means he'll probably never see this since
> the mail->news gateway is down]

I see it, i see it.

>Well, it's *Python* code:  you look in the source, find where it sets the
>colors, and change 'em to whatever you want.  If you grab the development

I know it's in the code. I have even looked for where (believe it or
not). In the IDLE readme for example it tells you where and what to
change to adjust the syntax highlight colours--but not the default
background colour--, I looked around there. Alas, to no avail. I
freely admit i find that code confusing. I am not quite the python
programming genius as yoursly truly.

So i have watched in vain for months hoping someone might let slip
this apparently closely guarded secret as to the where and what to
edit to make this miraculous IDLE environmental change.

>IDLE off the CVS repository at python.org, you'll find that it now has a
>IdlePrefs.py file containing a ColorPrefs class you can fiddle more directly

Thank God for that! I have to tell you, even if the guidos of the world
are ever infinitely more programatically exalted than insignificant I...
i simply can't fathom people who hard code stuff into their programs!
Even at early stages. In my books setting-type variables at very least
should go somewhere highly visible and up-front... so as to be easy
to access and find. But that's just me, perhaps.

>start-changing-one-color-and-you'll-end-changing-'em-all-ly y'rs  - tim

Precisely (not to mention concisely, and certainly not to mention
dashingly) what my plan would be...