Newbie: Truth values (three-valued logic)

Olaf Delgado delgado at Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Fri Jun 18 07:24:21 EDT 1999

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 mgutierrez at dss.es wrote:

> "Not maybe" equals to "not".
> Imagine this case:
> Maybe, I'll go to the cinema tomorrow.
> If you say, not "maybe, I'll go to the cinema tomorrow", then you are
> saying not to go the cinema. Imagine:
> Johan: Maybe, we could go to the cinema tomorrow.
> Anthony: No
> Johan : ok, let's go to the zoo, to see that python.

Okay, but this kind of intuitive semantics is not what I need here. The
negation of "Maybe, I'll go to the cinema tomorrow." should be "Maybe, I
wan't go to the cinema tomorrow.". By the way, this is IMO another,
stronger argument against hardwiring multi-valued logics into a
programming language. There may be different, equally justified views on
what the natural behaviour would be.

Undecidably yours,
Olaf

--
   ////         Olaf Delgado Friedrichs, Uni Bielefeld, Mathematik
   Olaf         Postfach 100131                  (room:  V4-109)