Environment inheritance under Windows NT

Milton Hankins mlh at swl.msd.ray.com
Mon Jun 28 10:03:30 EDT 1999

In article <7l3hpf$84v$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
Bill Wilkinson <yopen at my-deja.com> wrote:

> If you take a look after you change the variable using "set",
> you will notice that there are actually two copies of your variable.
> The new one can be changed on demand in the current window.
>
> You can ease the pain a little by using the setx.exe utility that
comes
> with the resource kit.

Yes, I tried installing the resource kit, but it required Internet
Explorer 4.  So, off I went to find a copy of IE4 to download.  No luck.
So, I tried installing IE5.  I tried for several hours; the install kept
failing.

Besides, doesn't setx change the "global" environment -- the same as in
the System control panel?  That's not really the effect we want.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/