DATE ARITHMETIC

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Sat Jun 19 17:17:12 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Ajith Prasad wrote:

> I need to do some simple date arithmetic - finding the number of days
> between any 2 days, the age of a person on a day given his birthday. The
> mxDateTime module downloadable from the Python website is more complex than
> what I need. Any other suggestions?

No.  Date arithmetic is by nature non-trivial.  Marc-Andre's mxDateTime
is perfectly suited for your application.

If you *really* *really* don't want to use it, though, look up "Julian
Date" and Scaliger (Joseph Justus) on the web.  Learn how to reduce
Gregorian dates to Julian Period dates, and once you do that you can add
and subtract dates as if they have just become big numbers.

Which they will have done, assuming you follow up on Julian Period
dates.

<8-K'an-12-Sotz'>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70